Four killed, 14 hurt in Karachi suicide attack
Islamabad: A suicide bomber targeted a senior police official in Pakistan`s Karachi city Thursday but killed at least four people, including two policemen, while injuring 14 others, Geo News reported. The official escaped unhurt.
The bomber rammed an explosives-laden motorbike into a police vehicle in the port city`s Malir Halt district killing four people, including two policemen. Fourteen others sustained injuries, said police sources.
The banned outfit Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) later claimed responsibility for the attack.
Malir`s Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rao Anwar claimed that the attacker targetted him as he was being threatened for a month.
"The attack was against me. I was moving with my squad in Malir Halt district when the explosion took place. I am unhurt, but some of my men have been injured," he said.
The suicide bomber was killed in the attack, said an official.
Earlier in the morning, about six to eight unidentified men shot dead three policemen at Karachi`s Pir Illahi Bux (PIB) Colony. They intercepted the police mobile vehicle and opened fired at the patrolling party.
In March, at least 10 people were killed and over 50 vehicles torched as violence escalated in Karachi over the killing of a local political activist.
The violence had broken out hours after Mansoor Mukhtar, an activist of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), was shot dead by unidentified gunmen at his home.
Thousands of MQM supporters had taken to streets in different parts of the city in protest and set ablaze many vehicles while firing in the air. The violent protest had virtually brought life in the city to a standstill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked