Gilani for `uninterrupted` Indo-Pak talks to resolve disputes
Islamabad: The renewed India-Pakistan
dialogue process should be "uninterrupted" and constructive
for the resolution of contentious issues like the Kashmir
dispute, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Friday.
Gilani made the remarks during a meeting with Abdullah
Abdurahman Alim, the OIC Secretary General’s special
representative on Jammu and Kashmir.
He informed Alim about his recent meeting with his
Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh in Mohali and expressed
satisfaction at the "resumption of a full spectrum of dialogue
on all issues", including Kashmir.
The Prime Minister "hoped that the renewed process of
dialogue would be uninterrupted and it would be constructive
for the resolution of contentious issues like the Jammu and
Kashmir dispute, which is imperative for the long-term peace,
stability and progress of South Asia, an official statement
At the same time, Gilani said the international
community should urge India to respect the fundamental rights
of Kashmiris and alleged atrocities against Kashmiris "should
be stopped forthwith".
He "underlined his country’s strong belief" that any
solution to the Kashmir issue must be acceptable to Pakistan,
India and the Kashmiri people.
While appreciating the OIC`s consistent support to the
"legitimate struggle of the Kashmiri people for their right of
self-determination", Gilani said Pakistan would look forward
to the special envoy`s report to be submitted after his visit
to Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Alim hoped that with the resumption of Pakistan-India
dialogue and the "warming up of their bilateral relations", it
would be possible for him to visit Jammu and Kashmir in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’