Grenades hurled at Pak military complex, 12 hurt
Nowshera: Unidentified men on Tuesday hurled hand grenades at the main gate of a military cantonment located in Risalpur of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in northwestern Pakistan.
According to police, two men riding a motorcycle lobbed hand grenades at the main gate of the high security military complex, injuring 12 people.
The grenades were lobbed at a time when a large group of youths was present at the gate to register for a recruitment drive, witnesses said.
Senior police official Ghulam Mohammed says the injured included civilians and security personnel. The attackers fled the scene.
Police officials said four security personnel and eight civilians were taken to nearby hospitals with minor injuries.
All the injured were out of danger and several of them were discharged after being provided first aid, they said.
The gate for the military complex on the G T Road leads to the Nowshera Cantonment, the Pakistan Air Force academy and several army training facilities.
Security forces, including army troops, cordoned off the area and launched a search operation but were unable to make any arrests.
DSP Muhammad Riaz Khan told reporters that several roadblocks had been set up and additional forces deployed in the area.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
The attack comes days after suicide bombers struck a Pakistani air force base in the same province. Four people died in Saturday`s attack on the base in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
The province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is located on the edge of Pakistan`s tribal region, the main sanctuary for al Qaeda and Taliban in the country.
The province has witnessed scores of attacks, most of them blamed on Taliban.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list