Grenades hurled at Pak military complex, 12 hurt
Nowshera: Unidentified men on Tuesday hurled hand grenades at the main gate of a military cantonment located in Risalpur of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in northwestern Pakistan.
According to police, two men riding a motorcycle lobbed hand grenades at the main gate of the high security military complex, injuring 12 people.
The grenades were lobbed at a time when a large group of youths was present at the gate to register for a recruitment drive, witnesses said.
Senior police official Ghulam Mohammed says the injured included civilians and security personnel. The attackers fled the scene.
Police officials said four security personnel and eight civilians were taken to nearby hospitals with minor injuries.
All the injured were out of danger and several of them were discharged after being provided first aid, they said.
The gate for the military complex on the G T Road leads to the Nowshera Cantonment, the Pakistan Air Force academy and several army training facilities.
Security forces, including army troops, cordoned off the area and launched a search operation but were unable to make any arrests.
DSP Muhammad Riaz Khan told reporters that several roadblocks had been set up and additional forces deployed in the area.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
The attack comes days after suicide bombers struck a Pakistani air force base in the same province. Four people died in Saturday`s attack on the base in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
The province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is located on the edge of Pakistan`s tribal region, the main sanctuary for al Qaeda and Taliban in the country.
The province has witnessed scores of attacks, most of them blamed on Taliban.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Shoaib Akhtar gets Birthday bash on TV show "Mazaak Mazaak Mein"
- WikiLeaks to release 'significant' material on Clinton
- Fernando Alonso praises McLaren as Honda introduce engine upgrades
- Want to get rid of nail biting habit? Try these ways!
- ''Russia pondering alternative games for banned paralympians''