Gunmen kill five in southwest Pakistan: Police
Quetta: Two gunmen opened fire on labourers building a mosque in Pakistan`s restive southwest on Sunday, killing five people, police said.
The shooting took place in Naushki district, 180 kilometres (110 miles) west of Quetta, the capital of oil and gas-rich Baluchistan province, which borders Afghanistan and Iran.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Baluchistan is rife with Islamist militants, and also suffers from sectarian violence between majority Sunni and minority Shi’ite Muslims and a regional separatist insurgency.
"Two unidentified gunmen riding a motorbike opened fire on the five labourers from Punjab province constructing a mosque in the village of Kisankuri and then fled," local police official Munir Mengal said.
He said that four labourers died at the scene while the fifth succumbed to his wounds in hospital.
A local intelligence official confirmed the incident and casualties.
Meanwhile, two people were killed and two others wounded when a bomb planted alongside a railway track on the outskirts of Quetta went off on Saturday, local police official Farid Breach said.
"The explosion also damaged the railway track," he added.
Hundreds of civilians have been killed since Baluch rebels rose up in 2004 against the federal Pakistani government, demanding political autonomy and a greater share of profits from the region`s oil, gas and mineral resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark