Gunmen kill five in southwest Pakistan: Police
Quetta: Two gunmen opened fire on labourers building a mosque in Pakistan`s restive southwest on Sunday, killing five people, police said.
The shooting took place in Naushki district, 180 kilometres (110 miles) west of Quetta, the capital of oil and gas-rich Baluchistan province, which borders Afghanistan and Iran.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Baluchistan is rife with Islamist militants, and also suffers from sectarian violence between majority Sunni and minority Shi’ite Muslims and a regional separatist insurgency.
"Two unidentified gunmen riding a motorbike opened fire on the five labourers from Punjab province constructing a mosque in the village of Kisankuri and then fled," local police official Munir Mengal said.
He said that four labourers died at the scene while the fifth succumbed to his wounds in hospital.
A local intelligence official confirmed the incident and casualties.
Meanwhile, two people were killed and two others wounded when a bomb planted alongside a railway track on the outskirts of Quetta went off on Saturday, local police official Farid Breach said.
"The explosion also damaged the railway track," he added.
Hundreds of civilians have been killed since Baluch rebels rose up in 2004 against the federal Pakistani government, demanding political autonomy and a greater share of profits from the region`s oil, gas and mineral resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing