Hafiz Saeed offers funeral prayers for Ajmal Kasab
Islamabad: LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed led a gathering of thousands in offering funeral prayers for Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist involved in the Mumbai attacks who was hanged earlier this week, a media report said on Saturday.
Saeed, mastermind of the 2008 assault on Mumbai, offered `ghayabana namaz-e-janaza` (funeral prayers in absentia) for Kasab at the conclusion of a two-day training session of the Jamaat-ud-Dawah at its headquarters at Muridke near Lahore.
The event was attended by thousands of people, the Urdu newspaper Daily Express reported.
It did not say when the event was held.
25-year-old Kasab, who was part of a team of 10 Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorists who killed 166 people during three days of carnage in Mumbai four years ago, was hanged in a Pune jail on Wednesday.
The Pakistani Taliban have threatened to target Indians to avenge Kasab`s execution.
The LeT has described Kasab as a "hero" who will inspire more terror attacks.
Shortly after Kasab`s hanging, the JuD refused to comment on the issue.
"We have decided not to issue any statement on the hanging of Kasab as we think it is not appropriate," Habibullah Salfi, a member of the JuD`s media arm, told a news agency.
The JuD claims it has no links with LeT.
Following the Mumbai attacks, the UN Security Council had declared the JuD a front for the banned LeT.
Earlier this year, the US offered a 10-million-dollar bounty for Saeed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?
- Pakistan has started behaving like an enemy: JD(U)
- Donald Trump links death of NBA star's cousin to black vote