Hafiz Saeed offers funeral prayers for Ajmal Kasab
Islamabad: LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed led a gathering of thousands in offering funeral prayers for Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist involved in the Mumbai attacks who was hanged earlier this week, a media report said on Saturday.
Saeed, mastermind of the 2008 assault on Mumbai, offered `ghayabana namaz-e-janaza` (funeral prayers in absentia) for Kasab at the conclusion of a two-day training session of the Jamaat-ud-Dawah at its headquarters at Muridke near Lahore.
The event was attended by thousands of people, the Urdu newspaper Daily Express reported.
It did not say when the event was held.
25-year-old Kasab, who was part of a team of 10 Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorists who killed 166 people during three days of carnage in Mumbai four years ago, was hanged in a Pune jail on Wednesday.
The Pakistani Taliban have threatened to target Indians to avenge Kasab`s execution.
The LeT has described Kasab as a "hero" who will inspire more terror attacks.
Shortly after Kasab`s hanging, the JuD refused to comment on the issue.
"We have decided not to issue any statement on the hanging of Kasab as we think it is not appropriate," Habibullah Salfi, a member of the JuD`s media arm, told a news agency.
The JuD claims it has no links with LeT.
Following the Mumbai attacks, the UN Security Council had declared the JuD a front for the banned LeT.
Earlier this year, the US offered a 10-million-dollar bounty for Saeed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation