Heavy rains, landslides kill 90 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Nearly 90 people have died in Bangladesh in flash floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains, officials said Wednesday.
Rains have wrecked havoc in the three hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban since Tuesday, killing at least 88 people, Xinhua reported.
The military, police and the fire service personnel have joined the rescue efforts.
According to the Met Office, Chittagong received more than 460 mm rain till 9 p.m. Tuesday, submerging almost two-thirds of the city.
Dhaka`s flood forecasting centre Wednesday said that the water-levels in all the major rivers are rising, while some were flowing over the danger mark.
It warned that the situation may become worse in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss