Heavy rains, landslides kill 90 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Nearly 90 people have died in Bangladesh in flash floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains, officials said Wednesday.
Rains have wrecked havoc in the three hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban since Tuesday, killing at least 88 people, Xinhua reported.
The military, police and the fire service personnel have joined the rescue efforts.
According to the Met Office, Chittagong received more than 460 mm rain till 9 p.m. Tuesday, submerging almost two-thirds of the city.
Dhaka`s flood forecasting centre Wednesday said that the water-levels in all the major rivers are rising, while some were flowing over the danger mark.
It warned that the situation may become worse in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her