Heavy rains, landslides kill 90 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Nearly 90 people have died in Bangladesh in flash floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains, officials said Wednesday.
Rains have wrecked havoc in the three hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban since Tuesday, killing at least 88 people, Xinhua reported.
The military, police and the fire service personnel have joined the rescue efforts.
According to the Met Office, Chittagong received more than 460 mm rain till 9 p.m. Tuesday, submerging almost two-thirds of the city.
Dhaka`s flood forecasting centre Wednesday said that the water-levels in all the major rivers are rising, while some were flowing over the danger mark.
It warned that the situation may become worse in the coming days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav