Heavy rains, landslides kill 90 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Nearly 90 people have died in Bangladesh in flash floods and landslides triggered by heavy rains, officials said Wednesday.
Rains have wrecked havoc in the three hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban since Tuesday, killing at least 88 people, Xinhua reported.
The military, police and the fire service personnel have joined the rescue efforts.
According to the Met Office, Chittagong received more than 460 mm rain till 9 p.m. Tuesday, submerging almost two-thirds of the city.
Dhaka`s flood forecasting centre Wednesday said that the water-levels in all the major rivers are rising, while some were flowing over the danger mark.
It warned that the situation may become worse in the coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician