Hindu ashram attacked in Pakistan
Karachi: A Hindu ashram was attacked in Pakistan`s Sindh province by about four persons who also stole a `trishul`, triggering protests and a partial shutdown of businesses at several places, a media report said on Monday.
The violators also desecrated parrh (a piece of cloth wrapped around the idol) at Faqir Par Braham`s ashram in Tharparkar district, a Hindu majority area.
The minority Hindu community came out on streets in all the towns of the district and also staged a sit-in at Mithi`s Kashmir chowk. Markets in Deeplo, Islamkot and Chachro towns were shut in protest.
"The Hindu community is being targeted in all parts of Sindh under a conspiracy," Raja Bhawan of Tharparkar`s Hindu panchayat, who led the protesters, was quoted as saying by Express Tribune daily.
"We want the government to expose hands behind this," he added.
Tharparkar is currently facing a drought-like situation.
Tharparkar SSP Muneer Shaikh said police have arrested four suspects and the stolen `trishul` has been recovered.
An FIR has been lodged on the complaint of one Seth Jhaman Das.
The incident came just two days after a temple of Hindu deity Hanuman was desecrated in Hyderabad where police have arrested 12 suspects for interrogation.
Hindus are the largest minority in Pakistan but make up only about two per cent of the country`s 180 million population.
Most Hindus live in Sindh province, where there have been several instances of alleged abduction and forced conversion of women from the minority community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31