IMF approves $213 mn loan for Sri Lanka
Washington: The International Monetary Fund has agreed to release around USD 213 million to Sri Lanka designed to top up the island`s dwindling foreign reserves.
The IMF moves to repair battered finances had been "satisfactory" as it dished out the fifth instalment of a loan that now totals just under USD 1.3 billion.
"Sri Lanka`s performance under the program has been satisfactory," the Washington-based fund said in a statement.
"Overall economic conditions are improving, and the economy is likely to show strong growth this year on the back of improved fundamentals and political stability."
In 2009, Sri Lanka sought an IMF bailout worth USD 2.6 billion to avert its first balance of payments crisis after the island`s foreign reserves slipped to under a billion dollars last year.
The loan was approved two months after the military crushed the Tamil Tiger rebels and ended a 37-year conflict that claimed up to 100,000 lives according to UN figures.
Sri Lanka`s economic growth is expected to double this year with the country firmly on the road to recovery after decades of ethnic war.
The island`s economy is expected to grow by seven percent this year, twice the rate of 2009, thanks to better farm output in the previously embattled north and east, according to previous IMF forecasts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more