‘Imran Khan-led party goes down in popularity’
Karachi: Imran Khan-led Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf party`s popularity has gone down by a massive 22 per cent among likely voters in the next general elections in 2013, according to a survey.
The survey, conducted by the International Republican Institute (IRI), has shown that the Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz Sharif group) has witnessed an increase of 3.7 per cent in its popularity.
The increase in the popularity ratings of the PML-N comes despite stringent criticism by cricketer-turned-politician Imran of the PML-N and its leaders.
The survey shows that the PML-N is currently the single most popular party in the country.
The survey posed the question among voters that if the elections for the National Assembly were to be held next week, who were the respondents most likely to vote for and the results might have come as a shock for the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf party.
Conducted between July and August 2012, from a pool of 6,001 respondents, the survey compared results from an earlier survey carried out in February 2012.
According to the IRI survey, 28 per cent of the respondents agreed to vote for PML-N, closely followed by the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf at 24 per cent.
The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) took the third spot with 14 per cent votes whereas Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) polled 3 per cent.
The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf party has been facing internal strifes in recent times and one of its vice presidents Shireen Mazari resigned this week in protest against the party policies.
According to the survey 91 per cent of the people believed that Pakistan was heading in the wrong direction.
Respondents termed electricity and inflation to be the two most important issues being faced by Pakistan.
Seventy-nine per cent people vowed to cast their votes in the next elections, 12 per cent did not want to vote, while 6 per cent are not yet fully ready.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh