India only friend of Hasina government: Opposition leader
Dhaka: A senior leader of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) has said that India was "the only friend" of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her government.
"Bangladesh cannot depend on only one country - India. This cannot be allowed to go on," former minister Moudud Ahmed said on Thursday, urging people "to get united to overcome the situation".
"The government has no friend other than neighbouring India. It has no connection with the Middle East," Moudud Ahmed, a BNP standing committee member, told a seminar here on Thursday.
Ahmed alleged that the western countries were "no longer ready to recognise Bangladesh as their friend for disgracing Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus", Bdnews24.com, a news website reported.
The Grameen Bank founder quit on Thursday after losing a prolonged legal battle with the Hasina government.
A former freedom fighter and Awami League lawmaker, Moudud Ahmed, quit the party after being imprisoned by the country`s founding leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman`s government in the early 1970s.
Considered a legal expert, he has since served different parties and governments. He is considered close to BNP chief and former prime minister Khaleda Zia.
Zia has rejected the five deals that Hasina signed during her New Delhi visit in January last year, terming them a sell-out.
She has demanded that the government of her principal political rival quit and mid-term polls be held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars