India only friend of Hasina government: Opposition leader
Dhaka: A senior leader of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) has said that India was "the only friend" of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her government.
"Bangladesh cannot depend on only one country - India. This cannot be allowed to go on," former minister Moudud Ahmed said on Thursday, urging people "to get united to overcome the situation".
"The government has no friend other than neighbouring India. It has no connection with the Middle East," Moudud Ahmed, a BNP standing committee member, told a seminar here on Thursday.
Ahmed alleged that the western countries were "no longer ready to recognise Bangladesh as their friend for disgracing Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus", Bdnews24.com, a news website reported.
The Grameen Bank founder quit on Thursday after losing a prolonged legal battle with the Hasina government.
A former freedom fighter and Awami League lawmaker, Moudud Ahmed, quit the party after being imprisoned by the country`s founding leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman`s government in the early 1970s.
Considered a legal expert, he has since served different parties and governments. He is considered close to BNP chief and former prime minister Khaleda Zia.
Zia has rejected the five deals that Hasina signed during her New Delhi visit in January last year, terming them a sell-out.
She has demanded that the government of her principal political rival quit and mid-term polls be held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest