Indo-Lanka ties at high pedestal: Peiris
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Saturday said its ties with India are at a high pedestal and are moving forward smoothly.
"Our dialogue with India is continuing. Basil Rajapaksa was in India yesterday. The two governments enjoy mutual understanding," External Affairs Minister GL Peiris said.
He was replying in response to a query whether Colombo had come under pressure from India on the ongoing impasse over its plans to amend the 13th amendment.
As per the 13th amendment that followed the Indo-Sri Lankan Accord of July 1987, Sri Lankan government had agreed to devolve some authority to the provinces.
"India is important to us as our neighbour. Our President has described India as our relative," Peiris said in Kandy, pointing out that as many as five ministers from India have visited Sri Lanka this year.
"That shows the level of relationship," he said.
His remarks came as Basil Rajapaksa completed his two-day visit to India.
During his visit to India, Rajapaksa held talks with External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and the Foreign Secretary.
Although the media reports suggested that India had emphasised to Rajapaksa the need "to fully implement the constitutional provision dealing with devolution of powers to provinces without dilution and go beyond it to ensure meaningful development", Lanka`s External Affairs Ministry release on Rajapaksa`s visit was dealing with other areas of discussion.
It said Rajapaksa`s visit was aimed at apprising the Indian leaders on Sri Lanka`s changes to the 13th amendment - the move to strip police and land powers to provinces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks