Infighting in Imran Khan`s party over Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa CM`s post
Islamabad: Infighting has broken out in Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf over choosing a Chief Minister for the crucial Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, with two top leaders jockeying for the position.
Pervez Khattak, the secretary general of the party, and Asad Qaisar, the president of the party`s Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa chapter, are in the race for the post of Chief Minister.
Khan`s party has emerged the single largest force in the provincial assembly and is trying to cobble together a coalition.
A party spokesman in Peshawar had initially announced that Khattak would be the Chief Minister but the media reported yesterday that Khan was backing Qaisar for the position.
A statement from party said no one had been nominated for the post of Chief Minister as yet.
It said consultations were underway in this regard.
Qaisar defeated Khattak in intra-party elections held this year and became the provincial president. He was president of the provincial chapter during 2008-2011.
Qaisar won elections to both a National Assembly and provincial assembly seat from his native Swabi district.
However, Khattak has claimed that he has the support of more legislators than Qaisar.
The party now appears divided into two groups over the issue of choosing a Chief Minister.
Khattak has been meeting leaders of other parties like the Jamaat-e-Islami and Qaumi Watan Party to discuss forming a coalition.
On the other hand, Qaisar went to Lahore and met Khan at Shaukat Khanum Hospital, where he is recuperating after an accident at a campaign meeting last week.
Following the meeting, Qaisar told the media that "Khan was very positive about" making him the Chief Minister.
Khan`s party defeated the Awami National Party, which had ruled Kyber-Pakhtunkhwa for the past five years, in the May 11 polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs