Iran issues ultimatum on gas pipeline to Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistan should accelerate the gas pipeline project with Iran or the latter would impose financial punishments on Islamabad, an Iranian source has revealed.
The source, on conditions of anonymity, said that if Pakistan did not revise its behaviour on construction of the peace pipeline, it will be fined based on the bilateral agreement with Iran. The source further complained about the slow speed at which the pipeline was constructed, lamenting that the project had not had tangible progress in the last four months.
According to the Nation, he added that Iran has decided to issue an ultimatum to Pakistani energy officials, warning that if they don`t revise the slow trend of the pipeline construction, Tehran will put into effect the paragraph in the agreement which pertains to financial penalties.
Asked about the reason for Pakistan`s delay in constructing the pipeline, the source said that Islamabad claimed that it was waiting for the results of Iran`s June 14 presidential election, but the delay is a result of the US pressures.
Iran and Pakistan in March officially inaugurated the construction phase of the pipeline project on the Pakistani side.
According to the report, the 2700-kilometer long pipeline was to supply gas for Pakistan and India which are suffering a lack of energy sources, but India has evaded talks.
In Pakistan, it will pass through Balochistan and Sindh but officials now say the route may be changed if China agrees to the project, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert