ISI is no longer considered Taliban`s friend: Qureshi
Washington: Pakistan`s powerful ISI is no
longer considered a "friend" of Taliban in Afghanistan,
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has claimed.
The Minister`s remarks come amid strong concerns
voiced by India about ISI`s support for the Afghan Taliban,
particularly in executing terror attacks targeting Indians.
"The way the ISI has been operating, and the way the
ISI is being targeted by Taliban is in front of you. Look at
their casualties. Look at the number of people that have been
injured in the last year-and-a-half directly -- you know, ISI
"Look at the way their different officers have been
attacked at Peshawar, in Lahore, in Multan. It is very obvious
that our side is no longer considered to be a friend of
theirs," Qureshi told the popular `Charlie Rose Show` telecast
on PBS news channel.
He was asked about the relationship between ISI and
Taliban in Afghanistan.
Arguing that it shares cultural, linguistic and ethnic
commonalities with Afghanistan, Qureshi claimed that Pakistan
has more stake in the war-torn country than India.
"Obviously, their (India`s) interests (in Afghanistan)
cannot be the same as ours because we share a border," he
"They (India) do not share a border (with
Afghanistan). We have been impacted (by the events in
Afghanistan). They (India) have not been impacted to that
extent, because even today we have three million Afghan
refugees living in Pakistan," he said when asked how he
measures India`s interest in Afghanistan.
Noting that Afghanistan is a land-locked country,
Qureshi said that bulk of their trade is carried through
"Practically our economies are one. Culturally,
linguistically, ethnically, there are commonalities which
Afghanistan shares more with Pakistan than India."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India