Japan to help Bhutan brush up `happiness` census
Tokyo: Japan is to dispatch experts to Bhutan to help the tiny Himalayan kingdom boost the accuracy of the way it measures happiness, an official said Thursday.
Unlike other countries` focus on gross domestic product, Bhutan determines how well it is working by plotting "Gross National Happiness", or GNH.
The measure is designed to protect the environment and culture, promote good governance and pursue sustainable socio-economic development.
But the government in Thimphu is concerned that the census it carries out to determine GNH is a little lacking, and has asked Japan for help improve its accuracy.
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), the nation`s foreign aid body, will send three researchers who specialise in social metrics to the country later this year to carry out a sample survey, an official from the agency said.
"And the researchers will analyse the poll and give the Bhutan side advice so that it can improve its survey technique," the official added.
The alternative vision of balancing spiritual and material wealth represented by the GNH has won global attention and praise, drawing a stream of academics and well-being gurus to happiness conferences in the country.
Bhutan, which is about the size of Switzerland, was never colonised and for centuries it relished its independence and isolation from the outside world, maintaining a barter economy and allowing few foreigners to visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP