Key US panel confirms Petraeus as Afghan war general

Last Updated: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 15:43

Washington: A key Senate committee has
confirmed General David Petraeus as the new US and NATO
Commander in Afghanistan after a hearing marked by bickering
over the July, 2011 troop withdrawal deadline.

The Senate Armed Services Committee, where he was
testified yesterday, confirmed his nomination by a
voice vote.

His nomination now goes to the full Senate for
confirmation.

Petraeus was nominated for this position by US
President Barack Obama, last week, after he accepted the
resignation of General Stanley McChrystal.

He resigned after the appearance of an interview of
which in which he was highly critical of the top officials of
Obama Administration.

During his hearing, Petraeus reminded the Senate Armed
Services Committee that the president has said the plan to
bring some troops back next year does not put the US
commitment to Afghanistan under question.

He said the US commitment to Afghanistan is
"enduring," and that it will be years before the Afghan
security forces can fully take over.

"My sense is that the tough fighting will continue;
indeed, it may get more intense in the next few months,"
Petraeus said.

Republican Senator John McCain said the July 2011
deadline for beginning the troop withdrawal from Afghanistan
is "unrealistic" and "harmful".

McCain said the people of Afghanistan will be far less
willing to support the administration when they know that the
forces will withdraw early.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 15:43

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus