Lahore HC moved for fresh trial of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
Lahore: A petition has been moved before the Lahore High Court seeking a fresh trial of former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.
The petitioners’ counsel submitted that Bhutto’s trial and conviction was a political decision taken on dictation of a dictator, and that the former premier was not tried and sentenced by a trial court, a newspaper reports.
His case was taken up by the Lahore High Court, which was a constitutional court, and could not try a murder accused, the counsel added.
He contended that Bhutto’s trial was not fair, and requested the court to declare the earlier trial as illegal.
The petitioners’ counsel submitted that the court should call the record of the case, and that a fresh decision, according to facts and circumstances of the case, be announced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!