Lashkar commander among 30 killed in Khyber suicide bombing
Jamrud: At least 30 people, including an important Lashkar-e-Islam commander (LI), were killed and another 110 injured in a suicide attack near a mosque in Akakhel area of Khyber Agency’s remote Tirah valley on Thursday.
Sources in Tirah valley confirmed the identity of the dead Lashkar commander as Azam Khan.
Witnesses told Daily Times that a suicide bomber, after parking his explosives-laden double cabin pickup in the middle of a ground, blew himself up while meeting the Lashkar’s deputy chief for the area, also setting of the explosives in his vehicle.
But a source said the bomber only detonated explosives strapped to his body as LI members and locals prepared for mid-day prayers at Darss Mosque, which is controlled by the LI.
The agency also quoted local official Javed Khan as saying that the dead also included other LI militants.
The attack was carried out with around 80 people gathered around “the mosque, a cattle market and bazaar”, an official said.
Officials were still investigating what caused the explosion.
Kohat Commissioner Khalid Umarzai told reporters over the phone that the injured had been shifted to Kohat hospitals for treatment. He said “most of those injured” were in critical condition.
An intelligence official said, “We have confirmed reports that militant commander Azam Khan was also killed in the blast.”
The LI has not held anybody responsible for the attack.
The Akakhel area is located on the border of Khyber and Orakzai agencies. While Orakzai is controlled by the TTP, the LI is the dominant force in Khyber.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani have condemned the attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!