Lawyer of Pak doctor who helped CIA track down Laden quits
Peshawar: A Pakistani lawyer representing jailed doctor Shakil Afridi, who helped the CIA track down al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, has quit citing threats to his life and the US`s "pressure tactics" for his release.
During the hearing, Samiullah Afridi yesterday said they were fighting the case in the court of law but undue pressure from the US is an indirect interference in the court proceedings and that is the main reason he decided to quit.
"The pressure tactics by the US on Pakistani government for extra judicial release of Dr Shakil Afridi was impacting the Pakistani courts, though I do not consider the Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR) laws humane and we are fighting for amendments, but still the case has to be left to the courts for decision," he was quoted as saying by Dawn News.
Samiullah said he had decided to fight Afridi`s case on humanitarian grounds but since then he and his family were being threatened from different quarters so it was no more possible for him to continue.
"The threats are very real, and they are coming for the last almost two years but the last few days remained very difficult for me and family so there was no option but to quit," he added.
Afridi was sentenced to 33 years in prison and fined Rs 3,20,000 on charges of colluding with Lashkar-e-Islam (LI) and its chief Mangal Bagh in 2012.
However, the tribal court had not entertained evidence relating to Afridi`s involvement with the CIA, citing lack of jurisdiction.
His sentence was reduced to 23 years and fine to Rs 2,20,000 last year in August and a retrial was ordered.
Afridi was arrested immediately after the May 2, 2011 operation by US commandos in the garrison town of Abbottabad that killed al-Qaeda chief bin Laden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj