Maldives: Nasheed`s supporters clash with police
Male: Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed`s supporters clashed with the security forces here during a rally to protest his ouster.
Protesters threw pavement cement blocks, glass marble pebbles and chilly dissolved water over the security forces on Wednesday.
After a confrontation for over two hours, protest was dismantled and roads were evacuated at around 1 am local time, Maldives police said.
More than 100 supporters have been arrested by police, Maldivian Democratic Party claimed at a press conference here.
MDP members had vowed that they will go on with these protests until the government of Waheed was removed from power and Presidential Elections were declared.
"MDP should understand that government cannot be toppled from the streets," President Mohamed Waheed said after opening the Dialysis Unit at a Hospital in HulhuMale`s island on Thursday.
On Wednesday night too at the Huraa island, Waheed said that do not judge the patience of government as if government was scared of anybody.
MDP spokesperson Imthiyaz `Inthi` Fahmy vowed to continue with the protest and added that a protest will be organised in Colombo this Sunday.
Fahmy also said MDP was going to withdraw Nasheed`s statement regarding the former president Maumoon, alleging that he was behind the coup.
Nasheed had resigned on February 07 this year in what he termed was a "coup" and was replaced by his then vice president Mohamed Waheed.
Meanwhile, the National Commission of Inquiry set by the Maldivian government to probe the events leading to the regime change is going on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday