Maldives: Panel member doubts report on coup
Colombo: Ahmed Saeed, the nominee of the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) on the panel investigating the alleged coup in which Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheed was toppled from power in February, has said that he is unhappy with a draft report of the Commission of National Inquiry (CONI).
"There are significant gaps in the draft and does not include evidence and statements given to the commission by many people", Saeed said in a statement released here.
"I believe remaining silent on the unfolding of events would be an injustice to this nation and to the people of the Maldives", Saeed said.
The five-member CONI headed by a Singaporean judge GP Selvam, was asked to probe the events of February 07 when Mohamed Nasheed resigned as president and Mohamed Waheed succeeded him.
"7 February 2012 shocked all Maldivians. The draft report, written by Judge Selvam presented to me today invalidates all that we saw and experienced on that day", Saeed said.
CONI, which was set up following international pressure, is thought to be ruling out the February 07 events as a coup.
But Nasheed`s MDP anticipated findings to back its claim of a coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read