Maldivian ruling party MP murdered
Male: A ruling party lawmaker in Maldives was on Tuesday stabbed to death on stairs of his apartment here hours after he appeared in a television programme.
Afrasheem Ali, 46, an MP from the Progressive Party of Maldives, was stabbed on back of his head, chest and neck.
Ali`s body was discovered by his wife on the stairs of their apartment building just past midnight.
Police said Ali died before reaching ADK hospital.
Speaking to reporters outside hospital, Police Commissioner condemned the attack in the strongest terms.
Ali, a strong critic of former president Mohammaed Nasheed, would receive a State funeral and would be buried after evening prayers.
Riyaz said that President Mohamed Waheed who is currently on vacation in New York has ordered for an investigation into the killing. The police chief pledged to use all resources available to bring the perpetrators to justice.
President Waheed has also ordered that the National Flag be flown at half-mast for three days. The Parliament session scheduled for today was called off following Ali`s murder.
Indian High Commissioner to Maldives D M Mulay termed it as a sad day to the legislature and condemned the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe