Maldivian ruling party MP murdered
Male: A ruling party lawmaker in Maldives was on Tuesday stabbed to death on stairs of his apartment here hours after he appeared in a television programme.
Afrasheem Ali, 46, an MP from the Progressive Party of Maldives, was stabbed on back of his head, chest and neck.
Ali`s body was discovered by his wife on the stairs of their apartment building just past midnight.
Police said Ali died before reaching ADK hospital.
Speaking to reporters outside hospital, Police Commissioner condemned the attack in the strongest terms.
Ali, a strong critic of former president Mohammaed Nasheed, would receive a State funeral and would be buried after evening prayers.
Riyaz said that President Mohamed Waheed who is currently on vacation in New York has ordered for an investigation into the killing. The police chief pledged to use all resources available to bring the perpetrators to justice.
President Waheed has also ordered that the National Flag be flown at half-mast for three days. The Parliament session scheduled for today was called off following Ali`s murder.
Indian High Commissioner to Maldives D M Mulay termed it as a sad day to the legislature and condemned the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- With 'Sairat', Marathi cinema flies high on BO, appreciation
- Barack Obama confirms death of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour, says chance for peace
- After buyout, this company will be world`s biggest agricultural supplier
- Material that can help develop new computing technologies developed!
- In this spectacular temple complex, you will find a hall with ‘thousand’ pillars!