MFN-status to India: Pakistan speaks of `some reservations`
Islamabad: Certain stakeholders in Pakistan have "some reservations" about giving Most Favoured Nation-status to India and the issue will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between the two sides, Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani said on Thursday.
Without giving details, Jilani told reporters during an informal interaction outside parliament that certain stakeholders have "some reservations` on giving MFN-status to India.
"However, the government is committed to implement its decision to establish normal trade relations with India," Jilani said.
The reservations expressed by some stakeholders will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between officials of the Commerce Ministries of the two sides, he said.
Jilani did not specify the dates of the meeting. He acknowledged that it was very important to improve relations and trade between the two countries.
The cabinet has already decided to give MFN-status to India, he remarked.
Referring to the unrest along the Line of Control, Jilani said Pakistan had proposed an independent inquiry into the recent violations of the ceasefire and was awaiting India`s response.
These violations of the ceasefire were unfortunate and the DGMOs of the two countries had already discussed the matter, he added.
In response to a question, Jilani said the Kashmir issue has not been sidelined.
Two important issues before the UN Security Council, currently chaired by Pakistan, are terrorism and peace-building, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22