MFN-status to India: Pakistan speaks of `some reservations`
Islamabad: Certain stakeholders in Pakistan have "some reservations" about giving Most Favoured Nation-status to India and the issue will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between the two sides, Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani said on Thursday.
Without giving details, Jilani told reporters during an informal interaction outside parliament that certain stakeholders have "some reservations` on giving MFN-status to India.
"However, the government is committed to implement its decision to establish normal trade relations with India," Jilani said.
The reservations expressed by some stakeholders will be discussed at an upcoming meeting between officials of the Commerce Ministries of the two sides, he said.
Jilani did not specify the dates of the meeting. He acknowledged that it was very important to improve relations and trade between the two countries.
The cabinet has already decided to give MFN-status to India, he remarked.
Referring to the unrest along the Line of Control, Jilani said Pakistan had proposed an independent inquiry into the recent violations of the ceasefire and was awaiting India`s response.
These violations of the ceasefire were unfortunate and the DGMOs of the two countries had already discussed the matter, he added.
In response to a question, Jilani said the Kashmir issue has not been sidelined.
Two important issues before the UN Security Council, currently chaired by Pakistan, are terrorism and peace-building, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145