Militants kill 10 in Pak`s Balochistan province
Islamabad: Ten persons, including six
members of the minority Shia community and two UN employees,
were killed and several others injured in incidents of
violence in Pakistan`s restive Balochistan province on Thursday.
Suspected militants riding a motorcycle opened fire at a
van in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan, killing six
persons, including a woman.
Shia groups said all those killed belonged to the
minority Hazara community and described the attack as an
incident of target killing.
Five persons were injured in the attack. They were taken
to two hospitals in Quetta.
Police said the slain persons were heading to work when
the van was attacked at Spini Road. The gunmen fled after the
attack and no group claimed responsibility for the incident.
Police officials said they suspected the involvement of
Soon after the attack, violent protests erupted at
several places in Quetta.
At least two persons, including a policeman, were killed
and several others injured in the incidents of firing.
Protesters burnt tyres to block roads. They also torched
several vehicles and a police post. Police used tear gas and
fired in the air to disperse protesters.
In a separate incident, suspected militants attacked a
vehicle of the Food and Agriculture Organisation in Mastung
town this morning and killed two of its employees.
Another employee of the UN agency sustained serious
injuries in the attack, police said.
The motive behind the attack could not immediately be
No group claimed responsibility for the incident.
Following the attack on the Shias, Shia groups announced
three days of mourning and called for a strike in Quetta
tomorrow to condemn the incident.
The Tahafuz Azadari Council, Balochistan Shia Council and
Hazara Democratic Party warned of more protests if the killers
were not arrested.
Balochistan has been rocked by a wave of sectarian and
targeted killings in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday