Militants threaten to kill Hasina if associates not freed
Dhaka: Islamic militants have threatened to
kill Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and blow up a
high-security jail in northeastern Chittagong city if their
associates are not released from the prison within a month.
The jailer of the prison in Chittagong port city
yesterday received a letter containing the threat, with its
sender calling himself a member of the outlawed Jamaatul
Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), the `Daily Star` newspaper
"She (Hasina) survived this year`s August 15 but she will
not be alive in future as she will also be blown to
smithereens," the letter said in an oblique reference to
August 15, 1975 when her father and the country`s founder
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibuyr Rahman was assassinated along with
most of his family members, according to the report.
The daily said the letter demanded that the militants
lodged in Chittagong jail be freed in next one month.
Chittagong jail officials could not be reached
immediately, while security officials in Dhaka declined to
comment on the matter saying they were unaware of any such
"But we are always concerned about her security as she
was exposed to such threats earlier also and survived attempts
on her life at least once in 2004" during a grenade attack on
her rally here, a senior official familiar with the Prime
Minister`s security detail told PTI preferring anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie