Militants threaten to kill Hasina if associates not freed
Dhaka: Islamic militants have threatened to
kill Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and blow up a
high-security jail in northeastern Chittagong city if their
associates are not released from the prison within a month.
The jailer of the prison in Chittagong port city
yesterday received a letter containing the threat, with its
sender calling himself a member of the outlawed Jamaatul
Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), the `Daily Star` newspaper
"She (Hasina) survived this year`s August 15 but she will
not be alive in future as she will also be blown to
smithereens," the letter said in an oblique reference to
August 15, 1975 when her father and the country`s founder
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibuyr Rahman was assassinated along with
most of his family members, according to the report.
The daily said the letter demanded that the militants
lodged in Chittagong jail be freed in next one month.
Chittagong jail officials could not be reached
immediately, while security officials in Dhaka declined to
comment on the matter saying they were unaware of any such
"But we are always concerned about her security as she
was exposed to such threats earlier also and survived attempts
on her life at least once in 2004" during a grenade attack on
her rally here, a senior official familiar with the Prime
Minister`s security detail told PTI preferring anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family