‘Mullah Omar, al-Zawahiri not hiding in Balochista
Islamabad: The Chief Minister of Pakistan`s
restive Balochistan province Thursday said Afghan Taliban leader
Mullah Omar and al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri were not
hiding in the region.
Chief Minister Aslam Raisani made the remarks during a
meeting with US Ambassador Cameron Munter in Quetta, the
capital of Balochistan.
Raisani also denied the existence of the Quetta Shura, a
grouping of Afghan Taliban leaders that the US believes is
based on the outskirts of the provincial capital.
Following the killing of Osama bin Laden in a covert
operation by American special forces in the garrison city of
Abbottabad on May 2, the US has called on Pakistan to take
steps to capture or kill several other top terrorists,
including Mullah Omar, al-Zawahiri and Ilyas Kashmiri.
In recent weeks, Balochistan has witnesses a spike in
sectarian and militant violence.
Nearly 20 members of the minority Shia community were
gunned down in the province.
Raisani contended "some elements" wanted to incite
sectarianism in Balochistan and claimed there were no
differences between the ethnic Baloch and Pashtuns.
He backed a policy of reconciliation to avert
In an earlier meeting with provincial assembly speaker
Mohammad Aslam Bhotani, Munter said Balochistan is important
for the US and solving the problems of the province was a
He told the media that the US will continue to provide
financial aid for ongoing projects and new dams in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India