Nawaz Sharif removes Pakistan official for praising him
Islamabad: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday removed a senior Pakistani official from his post for issuing advertisements to the media to congratulate the PML-N on its victory in the May 11 General Elections.
Sharif was not satisfied with an explanation submitted by National Highway and Motorway Police chief Zafar Abbas Luk regarding an advertisement he had issued to several dailies and removed him from his post today.
The Premier further directed authorities to take disciplinary action against Luk, officials said.
Sharif had earlier taken strict notice of advertisements issued by government departments and organisations to congratulate him and the PML-N on their victory in the polls.
He said such advertisements caused a loss to the national exchequer.
Notices were issued to several government departments to explain why they had issued the advertisements.
Sharif directed authorities to present before him the replies submitted by the National Highway and Motorway Police and the National Bank of Pakistan.
While criticising the advertisements, Sharif acknowledged the love and affection of the country and the emotions of his supporters but said he wanted them to "concentrate on nation building rather than sending congratulatory messages".
Sharif, 63, recently became Premier for a record third term after the PML-N swept the General Elections.
He has vowed to curtail unnecessary spending as part of his government`s efforts to revive the stagnant economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!