Nawaz Sharif`s swearing in significant milestone in Pak democracy: US
Washington: The United States has welcomed the swearing-in of Pakistan`s new Prime MinisterNawaz Sharif as a "significant milestone" in the country`s democracy.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the US looks forward to working with Sharif and the newly democratically elected government of Pakistan, reports The Dawn.
The 63-year-old, who was deposed in a coup and sent into exile 13 years ago, was formally chosen by a vote in the National Assembly and later took the oath of office from President Asif Ali Zardari .
Psaki said, however, that the US had a very strong ongoing dialogue with Pakistan regarding all aspects of the relationship, including security and counterterrorism cooperation.
She said it is critically important that the two nations continue to work closely with their partners throughout the world, providing them with the support they need, helping build their capacity to carry out counterterrorism operations in their own countries. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley