Nawaz Sharif`s swearing in significant milestone in Pak democracy: US
Washington: The United States has welcomed the swearing-in of Pakistan`s new Prime MinisterNawaz Sharif as a "significant milestone" in the country`s democracy.
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the US looks forward to working with Sharif and the newly democratically elected government of Pakistan, reports The Dawn.
The 63-year-old, who was deposed in a coup and sent into exile 13 years ago, was formally chosen by a vote in the National Assembly and later took the oath of office from President Asif Ali Zardari .
Psaki said, however, that the US had a very strong ongoing dialogue with Pakistan regarding all aspects of the relationship, including security and counterterrorism cooperation.
She said it is critically important that the two nations continue to work closely with their partners throughout the world, providing them with the support they need, helping build their capacity to carry out counterterrorism operations in their own countries. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!