Nepal bridge collapse: 1 Indian killed, 11 injured
Kathmandu: At least three people, including
an Indian national were killed on Sunday while an Indian girl was
missing when an overloaded suspension bridge over the Trishuli
river collapsed in central Nepal`s Chitawan district, police
Eleven Indians sustained serious injuries when the bridge
over the Trishuli River collapsed this afternoon near
Darechowk in Phisling village, 150-km from the capital
Around 40 students from Chennai`s Magri Gordia College
had thronged the bridge at Phisling village for sightseeing
when a supporting pole snapped due to the excessive load on
the ageing iron structure.
They were traveling to the famous tourist town of Pokhara
in western Nepal after concluding their tour of Kathmandu.
Eleven Indians were rescued from the river by the police
with the help of local people. Amida, a girl from Tamil Nadu
is missing after she fell into the river, police said.
Those killed included Florence, a girl from Chennai and
two local people, 60-year-old Man Bahadur Ale and another 15-
year-old-boy, who is not yet identified, the Central Police
News Room said.
Those injured in the incident include Sindhuja, 21,
Balaji, 23, Christopher, 22, Sigdi, 23 and Jack, 22, Hjay
Sulmi, 22, Priya, 23, Ajisa, 26, Yawana Sulmi, 25, Ramesh, 25,
all from Tamil Nadu, and Kelvin Strength Syangba from
Meghalaya and Ramesh Chepang, 26 from Nepal, according to the
The injured have been admitted to the Bharatpur Medical
College and their condition is stable, the police said.
Rescuers were still searching for some more people still
Eyewitnesses said the bridge snapped after the Indian
students on an educational tour flocked to it for photgraphs.
Some local people were also crossing the suspension bridge
when the tragedy occurred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what