Nepal bridge collapse: 1 Indian killed, 11 injured
Kathmandu: At least three people, including
an Indian national were killed on Sunday while an Indian girl was
missing when an overloaded suspension bridge over the Trishuli
river collapsed in central Nepal`s Chitawan district, police
Eleven Indians sustained serious injuries when the bridge
over the Trishuli River collapsed this afternoon near
Darechowk in Phisling village, 150-km from the capital
Around 40 students from Chennai`s Magri Gordia College
had thronged the bridge at Phisling village for sightseeing
when a supporting pole snapped due to the excessive load on
the ageing iron structure.
They were traveling to the famous tourist town of Pokhara
in western Nepal after concluding their tour of Kathmandu.
Eleven Indians were rescued from the river by the police
with the help of local people. Amida, a girl from Tamil Nadu
is missing after she fell into the river, police said.
Those killed included Florence, a girl from Chennai and
two local people, 60-year-old Man Bahadur Ale and another 15-
year-old-boy, who is not yet identified, the Central Police
News Room said.
Those injured in the incident include Sindhuja, 21,
Balaji, 23, Christopher, 22, Sigdi, 23 and Jack, 22, Hjay
Sulmi, 22, Priya, 23, Ajisa, 26, Yawana Sulmi, 25, Ramesh, 25,
all from Tamil Nadu, and Kelvin Strength Syangba from
Meghalaya and Ramesh Chepang, 26 from Nepal, according to the
The injured have been admitted to the Bharatpur Medical
College and their condition is stable, the police said.
Rescuers were still searching for some more people still
Eyewitnesses said the bridge snapped after the Indian
students on an educational tour flocked to it for photgraphs.
Some local people were also crossing the suspension bridge
when the tragedy occurred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly