Nepal bridge collapse: 1 Indian killed, 11 injured
Kathmandu: At least three people, including
an Indian national were killed on Sunday while an Indian girl was
missing when an overloaded suspension bridge over the Trishuli
river collapsed in central Nepal`s Chitawan district, police
Eleven Indians sustained serious injuries when the bridge
over the Trishuli River collapsed this afternoon near
Darechowk in Phisling village, 150-km from the capital
Around 40 students from Chennai`s Magri Gordia College
had thronged the bridge at Phisling village for sightseeing
when a supporting pole snapped due to the excessive load on
the ageing iron structure.
They were traveling to the famous tourist town of Pokhara
in western Nepal after concluding their tour of Kathmandu.
Eleven Indians were rescued from the river by the police
with the help of local people. Amida, a girl from Tamil Nadu
is missing after she fell into the river, police said.
Those killed included Florence, a girl from Chennai and
two local people, 60-year-old Man Bahadur Ale and another 15-
year-old-boy, who is not yet identified, the Central Police
News Room said.
Those injured in the incident include Sindhuja, 21,
Balaji, 23, Christopher, 22, Sigdi, 23 and Jack, 22, Hjay
Sulmi, 22, Priya, 23, Ajisa, 26, Yawana Sulmi, 25, Ramesh, 25,
all from Tamil Nadu, and Kelvin Strength Syangba from
Meghalaya and Ramesh Chepang, 26 from Nepal, according to the
The injured have been admitted to the Bharatpur Medical
College and their condition is stable, the police said.
Rescuers were still searching for some more people still
Eyewitnesses said the bridge snapped after the Indian
students on an educational tour flocked to it for photgraphs.
Some local people were also crossing the suspension bridge
when the tragedy occurred.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow