Nepal Cabinet approves key bill
Kathmandu: Nepal`s Cabinet on Friday approved a
bill seeking amendment to the Interim Constitution for
formation of a panel of experts to resolve contentious issues
relating to state restructuring in order to expedite the
The amendment bill, which aims to change Article 138 of
the interim Constitution, was registered at the Parliament
Secretariat after its approval by the Cabinet.
If the 601-member Constituent Assembly clears the bill,
the Constitution will be amended for the 11th time.
Minister for Law and Justice Brijesh Kumar Gupta and
Constituent Assembly Minister Gopal Kirati registered the bill
at the Constituent Assembly Secretariat.
The government has decided to amend the Constitution
in line with a seven-point agreement signed among the
country`s major political parties on Tuesday.
The bill seeks formation of a panel of experts to
resolve the contentious issues on state restructuring to
expedite the process of drafting of the new Constitution.
The Interim Constitution had envisioned a state
restructuring commission. However, the major parties were
divided over whether to form a committee or a commission to
decide about the new states and their structures in the new
With the seven-point agreement and recent breakthrough in
the peace process, the parties have agreed to expedite the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional