Nepal polls: Prachanda wins seat by narrow margin, relatives lose
Kathmandu: Maoist supremo Prachanda was on Saturday elected to Nepal`s Constituent Assembly after winning one of two seats he contested by a narrow margin, as three of his close relatives faced humiliating defeats in the polls.
Prachanda, who heads the Unified CPN-Maoist, was elected from a seat in Siraha in southern Nepal by a margin of just 900 votes. He secured 15,244 votes to defeat his nearest rival Lila Shrestha of CPN-UML.
Apart from his own defeat in another constituency in Kathmandu, where he finished third, Prachanda suffered major blows as his daughter Renu Dahal, cousin Narayan Dahal and daughter-in-law Bina Magar lost the race to enter the 601-member Assembly that will draft Nepal`s new Constitution.
Renu was defeated in the polls in another Kathmandu seat, where Nepali Congress general secretary Prakash Man Singh emerged victorious by a big margin.
Bina Magar was defeated in a constituency in Kanhanpur by CPN-UML candidate Lal Bahadur B K. Narayan Dahal lost the election from a Chitawan constituency to CPN-UML candidate Krishna Bhakta Pokharel.
With Maoists headed for a rout in the polls, people did not celebrate Prachanda`s victory in Siraha district.
The UCPN-Maoist party has suffered big losses and was running a distant third behind the Nepali Congress and CPN-UML, according to official results.
The Maoists are threatening to boycott the Assembly, alleging a conspiracy.
Nepal went to the polls on Tuesday to chose a new Constituent Assembly that will have 240 members elected under a direct voting system. Proportionate voting will elect members to 335 seats and the remaining 26 members will be nominated by the government.
The vote was only the second one since a civil war launched by Maoist rebels ended in 2006. Nepal was then transformed into a secular republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!