Nepal, US armies to jointly train for disaster relief
Kathmandu: A contingent of US Army personnel on Friday arrived in Nepal for a joint exercise focusing on disaster response training.
The main objective of the exercise is to develop the Nepal Army`s role in directing international assistance during a disaster-related crisis.
The exercise will consist of joint parachute training to simulate a disaster response and search and rescue training with helicopter support, said a statement from the US Embassy here.
Two US Air Force C-130 Hercules cargo aircraft, which flew to Nepal today, will participate in the exercise. A C-130 aircraft will be used for parachute training on October 26.
The two armies will train specifically to access areas difficult to reach by road in the event of a major disaster. There will be a humanitarian aid and disaster relief expert exchange planned and executed by the Mahabir Ranger of Nepal Army, the statement said.
The Nepal Army and the US Army`s Pacific Command recently completed a disaster response and emergency exercise in Kathmandu.
"The Nepal Army and the US Army often conduct exercises together as a sign of their continuing efforts to improve disaster response capabilities," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter