Nepal`s `Living Goddess` faces acid test
Kathmandu: One of the many thousands of students appearing for Nepal`s tough school-leaving examinations is Chanira Bajracharya, who is also worshipped in Kathmandu`s neighbouring Lalitpur city as Kumari, the "Living Goddess" of Nepal.
The pre-pubescent girl will appear for the School Leaving Examination from the Bhaswara Higher Secondary School, the Kantipur daily reported.
Chanira was chosen as the Kumari of the Patan area of Kathmandu valley when she was a second grader.
Subsequently, following tradition, she stopped going to school. However, heeding a Supreme Court directive that has asked the government to recognise the human rights of the Kumaris and allow them to be educated, teachers of the school have chosen to coach the "goddess" at her residence.
Kathmandu valley has three Kumaris, who were once regarded as the protective deities of the royal family.
Though Nepal abolished monarchy in 2008, due to the public reverence the Kumaris enjoy, the government has decided to continue the tradition as a cultural one.
Based on certain auspicious signs, the Kumaris are chosen from the Newar community, who are regarded as the clan of the Buddha, the founder of Buddhism.
The selected Kumaris leave their parental home to live in their own palaces and are not allowed to tread on earth, being either carried in arms or riding in a chariot.
The image of the Kumari is as popular in Nepal as that of Mt Everest, the highest peak that is also Nepal`s pride.
The Kumari appears before public wearing dazzling red clothes woven with gold threads, her hair tied high and covered with a garland of flowers.
She is also characterised by deeply kohl-underlined eyes and a third eye painted in red on her forehead.
Chanira, the Living Goddess` routine has changed due to the imminent exams.
She starts her morning with a two-hour tuition after which she becomes the Kumari again, taking part in her daily worship ritual.
The worship is followed by brunch break following which she is required to appear before her devotees.
In the evening, she becomes a student again.
After she finishes her school - and probably outgrows being a goddess - this Kumari wants to take up a career in banking.
He teachers say she is intelligent and scored 78 percent marks during the pre-exam test.
By tradition, a Living Goddess is stripped of her status once she loses a tooth or starts menstruating.
Since the fall of monarchy, Nepal`s orthodox Kumari tradition has also undergone change.
About two years ago, the Kumari of Bhaktapur city, Sajani Shakya, created a turmoil when she ventured to go abroad.
Shakya`s trip to the US on the invitation of a documentary maker, who was screening a film on her, resulted in the temple authorities "sacking" the young girl.
However, after the incident hit the headlines, they reinstated her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow