New UN envoy wants Afghan-led peace talks
Kabul: Talks to end Afghanistan`s 10-year war must be Afghan-led to have any chance of success, the new head of the UN mission in Afghanistan said today.
Jan Kubis, who took over the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) from Swedish diplomat Staffan de Mistura earlier this month, said only an Afghan-owned negotiating process could eventually bring peace.
Taliban insurgents have announced plans to open a political office in Qatar ahead of possible peace negotiations with the United States, which leads a NATO coalition of some
130,000 troops in Afghanistan.
But Kubis told reporters in Kabul: "It must be an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned process and I don`t see any other chance for it to succeed.
"It can be a successful Afghan-owned process only if it is based on right participation, on representative participation not only of the political forces but of civil
Although the Afghan government gave its blessing to the Qatar plan, President Hamid Karzai is wary of being sidelined in talks between the insurgents and Washington.
US envoy Marc Grossman met Karzai in Kabul at the weekend and reiterated Washington`s stance that any talks with the Taliban could only take place with the agreement of the Afghan government, which eventually should lead the process.
And the Kabul government announced after the talks that a Qatar government delegation would soon visit Kabul to discuss the Taliban`s plan to open a political office in the Gulf state.
The hardline Islamists have waged an insurgency against Afghan and international forces since being ousted from power by a US-led invasion in late 2001 in response to the al Qaeda attacks on New York and Washington.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you