New US Secretary of State to name Special Af-Pak representative
Washington: The future of the office of the Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan would be left to the successor of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, a senior official has said.
"Obviously, her successor will have every right to look at the structure of that office and every other office in this building and make decisions about whether that still makes sense and who ought to lead it, et cetera," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference on Thursday.
She was responding to questions on recommendations coming from at last two think-tanks in recent days that with the war in Afghanistan winding down, it is time that the office of the Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan be merged with the South and Central Asia Bureau of the State Department.
"Well, Secretary Clinton, I think, has been very satisfied with the structure for handling these issues that she set up when she came into the building," Nuland said. "It`ll certainly stay for the duration of her tenure is my understanding," she added.
Richard Holbrook was the first occupant to the post which was announced in January 2009. His successor Marc Grossman, resigned last month. Hillary has left the decision to name the new Special US Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan to her successor. Hillary would leave her current post next month, though no formal announcement has been made yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city