Next contempt hearing against Gilani on Feb 28
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court Wednesday
adjourned the contempt of court case against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani till February 28 after admitting evidence and recording the statement of the prosecutor.
A seven-judge bench headed by Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk
recorded the statement of Attorney General Anwar-ul-Haq, who
has been asked to act as prosecutor for the proceedings
Haq presented evidence against the premier, including the
apex court`s orders to implement a direction that struck down
a graft amnesty which benefited President Asif Ali Zardari.
Haq presented several documents, including the primary
verdict that annulled the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a
graft amnesty issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf, and the apex court`s order dismissing a review
petition filed by the federal government.
The Supreme Court recently rejected Gilani`s appeal and
indicted him for contempt of court.
The court initiated proceedings against the premier after
he refused to act on orders to reopen cases of alleged money
laundering against Zardari in Switzerland.
The apex court has been pressuring the government to
revive the cases against Zardari since December 2009, when it
struck down the National Reconciliation Ordinance.
The government has refused to act, saying the President
enjoys complete immunity from prosecution within Pakistan and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan