Next contempt hearing against Gilani on Feb 28
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court Wednesday
adjourned the contempt of court case against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani till February 28 after admitting evidence and recording the statement of the prosecutor.
A seven-judge bench headed by Justice Nasir-ul-Mulk
recorded the statement of Attorney General Anwar-ul-Haq, who
has been asked to act as prosecutor for the proceedings
Haq presented evidence against the premier, including the
apex court`s orders to implement a direction that struck down
a graft amnesty which benefited President Asif Ali Zardari.
Haq presented several documents, including the primary
verdict that annulled the National Reconciliation Ordinance, a
graft amnesty issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf, and the apex court`s order dismissing a review
petition filed by the federal government.
The Supreme Court recently rejected Gilani`s appeal and
indicted him for contempt of court.
The court initiated proceedings against the premier after
he refused to act on orders to reopen cases of alleged money
laundering against Zardari in Switzerland.
The apex court has been pressuring the government to
revive the cases against Zardari since December 2009, when it
struck down the National Reconciliation Ordinance.
The government has refused to act, saying the President
enjoys complete immunity from prosecution within Pakistan and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!