Nine killed as tractor-trolley falls into Sri Lanka canal
Colombo: At least nine people were killed when a tractor-trolley fell into a canal in Polonnaruwa in the central province of Sri Lanka Friday, police said.
Police said the tractor, usually used for farming, was transporting on a trolley a group of people when the driver lost control over the vehicle and it fell into the canal, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Ajith Roahan said that eight other people were injured in the accident and were admitted to hospital.
It was not clear if the canal was dry.
Those killed were four women, two men, two children and a baby, the police spokesman added.
Tractor-trolleys are a common mode of transport in rural areas in Sri Lanka where passenger buses and trains do not operate.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks