Nine killed as tractor-trolley falls into Sri Lanka canal
Colombo: At least nine people were killed when a tractor-trolley fell into a canal in Polonnaruwa in the central province of Sri Lanka Friday, police said.
Police said the tractor, usually used for farming, was transporting on a trolley a group of people when the driver lost control over the vehicle and it fell into the canal, Xinhua reported.
Police spokesman Ajith Roahan said that eight other people were injured in the accident and were admitted to hospital.
It was not clear if the canal was dry.
Those killed were four women, two men, two children and a baby, the police spokesman added.
Tractor-trolleys are a common mode of transport in rural areas in Sri Lanka where passenger buses and trains do not operate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?