No joint anti-terror operation with US: Pak
Islamabad: Pakistan has no plans to conduct a joint military operation with the US against the Taliban in the country, the Army announced Friday.
Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has "dispelled" the speculative reporting in the US media that a joint military operation is on the cards, Xinhua quoted the Army as saying.
The US media had reported that Islamabad and Washington agreed to launch a joint anti-terror operation in North Waziristan, bordering Afghanistan.
It was reported that an agreement had been reached during talks between Pakistani intelligence chief Lt Gen Zaheer-ul-Islam and top CIA officials in Washington.
Gen Kayani has clarified Pakistan`s position after his meeting with US Gen James N Mattis in the garrison city of Rawalpindi late Thursday.
It is important to distinguish between coordinated action and joint operation, Kayani said.
He said coordinated action implies that Pakistan Army and ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) conduct operation on respective sides of the Pakistan-Afghan border.
Whereas a joint operation implies that the two forces are physically involved on either side of the border, an Army statement quoted Kayani as saying.
"A joint operation in this sense is unacceptable to the people and armed forces of Pakistan," Kayani said.
The national interest will be the main consideration for any decision, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster