No joint anti-terror operation with US: Pak
Islamabad: Pakistan has no plans to conduct a joint military operation with the US against the Taliban in the country, the Army announced Friday.
Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has "dispelled" the speculative reporting in the US media that a joint military operation is on the cards, Xinhua quoted the Army as saying.
The US media had reported that Islamabad and Washington agreed to launch a joint anti-terror operation in North Waziristan, bordering Afghanistan.
It was reported that an agreement had been reached during talks between Pakistani intelligence chief Lt Gen Zaheer-ul-Islam and top CIA officials in Washington.
Gen Kayani has clarified Pakistan`s position after his meeting with US Gen James N Mattis in the garrison city of Rawalpindi late Thursday.
It is important to distinguish between coordinated action and joint operation, Kayani said.
He said coordinated action implies that Pakistan Army and ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) conduct operation on respective sides of the Pakistan-Afghan border.
Whereas a joint operation implies that the two forces are physically involved on either side of the border, an Army statement quoted Kayani as saying.
"A joint operation in this sense is unacceptable to the people and armed forces of Pakistan," Kayani said.
The national interest will be the main consideration for any decision, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video