Norwegian soldier accidentally kills an Afghan
Oslo: A grenade accidentally set off by a
Norwegian soldier on Wednesday killed one Afghan civilian and injured
another at a police post in northern Afghanistan, the
Norwegian army said.
"Wednesday morning, an accidental blast was fired by a
Norwegian soldier at the headquarters of the Afghan police in
the Almar district in the (northern) province of Faryab," the
army said in a statement.
The army indicated that the accident occurred as
munitions were being loaded into a grenade launcher mounted on
Two employees of a plumbing company doing maintenance
work within the camp were hit by shards of the blast, the
"One person died from his injuries at the scene. The
other was lightly injured and evacuated by helicopter to be
treated in a hospital," near the Norway`s main military base
in Faryab, the statement said.
Norwegian military police will investigate alongside
Afghan police the circumstances surrounding the accident, the
Norway has around 500 military personnel in Afghanistan,
primarily in Kabul and in the north.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015