Number of IDPs in welfare camps dropped drastically: Lanka
Colombo: After a large scale resettlement,
the number of conflict-displaced people put up in welfare
camps in northern Sri Lanka have dropped considerably to about
1,57,000, compared to about 2,88,000 in June, an official
As of November 4, 2009, there were 1,57,453 IDPs in
welfare centres in Sri Lanka, report said.
Additionally, another 60,000 people are slated to go
home over the next few weeks, it added.
The majority of the IDPs will be resettled by end of
this year, Mahinda Samarasinghe, Minister of Disaster
Management and Human Rights said.
The latest phase of resettlements should bring the
total IDP population down to about 1,20,000 in the near
future, the report said adding, 4,390 persons (1,314 families)
have been resettled in the Mullaittivu District, a former LTTE
The civilians, most of them residents of northern Sri
Lanka, were displaced last spring at the conclusion of the
26-year-long conflict between Lankan security forces and the
Those who have been resettled have gone to their
native communities in the Ampara, Batticaloa, Jaffna, Mannar,
Trincomalee and Mullaithivu districts.
Parts of the north, however, remain uninhabitable due
to landmines, contaminated water and a lack of other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India