Osama commission summons Pak`s envoy to UK
Islamabad: Pakistan`s High Commissioner in UK
has been summoned by the judicial commission probing Osama bin
Laden`s presence in the country to explain his remarks that
the country`s leaders had prior knowledge about the US raid
that killed the al Qaeda leader.
Officials said Wajid Shamsul Hasan, considered to be close
to President Asif Ali Zardari, had been asked to appear before
the commission led by former Supreme Court judge Javed Iqbal
in the last week of December.
Shortly after the American military raid that killed bin
Laden in the garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2, Hasan had
told Western and Indian news channels that Pakistani leaders
had been aware of the US operation and that
intelligence-sharing between Islamabad and Washington had led
the Americans to the al Qaeda chief.
Hasan`s remarks were recently reported again in the
Pakistani media after Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor
Ijaz made public an alleged secret memo that sought US help to
stave off a possible military coup in Pakistan after the
killing of bin Laden.
Following the fresh scrutiny of his remarks, Hasan stayed
away from a two-day meeting of Pakistani envoys in key world
capitals that has been convened to provide recommendations for
a proposed foreign policy revamp.
Pakistan`s Deputy High Commissioner to Britain is
attending the meeting that began this morning.
The government has asked the panel to probe how bin
Laden`s presence in Pakistan went undetected, to investigate
circumstances surrounding the 40-minute US operation and the
nature and causes of lapses by concerned authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore