Over 50 killed in Afghan violence in two days
Kabul: More than 50 people, most of them militants, have been killed in Afghanistan since Saturday morning, Xinhua reported Sunday.
Fourteen people were killed when Taliban carried out multiple suicide bombings and armed attack against an Afghan-NATO military base located in a local airport in Nangarhar province`s Jalalabad city early Sunday.
"Nine anti-government militants, three Afghan security members and two civilians were killed in Sunday morning`s attack against Jalalabad airport," a local government statement said.
The attack began at about 5.30 am after two Taliban suicide bombers rammed their explosives-laden car into the entrance of the base and blew it up, sparking a gunfight between militants and the security forces in the base being run by Afghan and US forces in the city, 120 km from Kabul.
Three other suicide bombers detonated their suicide vests shortly after the car bombings, according to the statement while four other militants were shot dead by the security forces.
Up to 11 Afghan soldiers and three civilians were also wounded in the blasts. The clash lasted for two hours, the statement said, adding "the attackers were using the Afghan army uniform to mask themselves but their efforts to enter the base was foiled".
Earlier Sunday, two policemen and two Taliban were killed when militants stormed police checkpoints in Baghlan province, 160 km north of Kabul.
The Afghan Interior Ministry has also confirmed that the Afghan army and police supported by the coalition forces killed 27 Taliban militants since Saturday in different parts of the country.
"During the operations in Nangarhar, Baghlan, Balkh, Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan, Maidan Wardak, Logar, Farah, Helmand and Nimroz provinces, 34 more insurgents have been detained," the ministry said in a statement.
Separately, an International Security Assistance Force soldier died in a militant attack in southern Afghanistan this morning.
In Uruzgan province, three civilians were killed and four others wounded in a suicide bomb attack Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM