Pak blast: 38 dead, 50 injured in terror attack on mosque, jirga meet
Peshawar: At least 38 people, including a former parliamentarian, were killed and nearly 50 others injured in a suicide attack on a mosque and two bombings
across northwest Pakistan on Monday, marking a spurt in militant violence after a relative lull over the past few weeks.
Former lawmaker Maulana Noor Muhammad was among 26
people killed when a suicide bomber targeted a mosque in the
volatile South Waziristan Agency. Local residents said he had
differences with the Taliban.
The attacker detonated his suicide jacket as Muhammad
was delivering a sermon to a group of worshippers in the
mosque at Wana, the headquarters of the tribal region.
About 30 others were injured in the attack.
Officials said the death toll could rise as many of
the injured were in a critical condition. The mosque, located
within a religious school run by Muhammad, was severely
damaged by the blast.
Witnesses said the bomber, who joined the
worshippers, suddenly blew himself up. They said they had seen
several bodies and human flesh and blood spattered on the
walls and floor of the mosque.
Maulana Noor Muhammad, a noted cleric who was
elected to the previous National Assembly or lower house of
parliament as an independent candidate, had survived several
attempts on his life.
Earlier in the day, eight persons were killed and 10
more injured when a bomb ripped through a jirga or tribal
council in the restive Kurram tribal region.
The remote-controlled blast occurred when the jirga
was meeting in Khomcha area to settle a dispute regarding the
ownership of a school. A school teacher who was acting as a
mediator was among those killed.
In the third attack, three members of a "peace
committee" or anti-Taliban militia and a child were killed and
six more injured when a roadside bomb went off in Mattani
area, 30 km south of provincial capital Peshawar.
Police said the bomb targeted a vehicle of the peace
committee. Police launched a search for the attackers. No
group claimed responsibility for the three attacks.
In a separate incident, security forces arrested four
militants and destroyed their hideout during an operation in
Shal Gazyan area of Kurram Agency.
Hundreds of people have died in clashes between rival
Shia and Sunni tribesmen in the Kurram Agency since late 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo