Khan had filed a petition with the Rawalpindi-based division bench of the Lahore High Court, challenging restrictions imposed on his movements. The court had on November 4 directed him and the government to resolve the matter but both parties failed to do so.
In his petition, Khan had claimed he was leading a "prisoner's life" due to the security personnel deployed at his home in Islamabad. He also said he was followed wherever he went and that his movements were being restricted in the name of the security protocol.
Deputy Attorney General Ahmer Bilal Sufi drew the court's attention to reports in the West media about Pakistan's nuclear programme that were based on material provided by Khan and requested it to either stop his interaction with the media or to direct the media not to
publish his statements.
Khan's lawyer Ali Zafar responded that his client had not given any interviews to the media. He also submitted a written statement in this regard to the court.
The court said it would not entertain the government's request in this regard.
The court warned both parties it was giving them a last chance to mutually sort out the issue of Khan's security protocol, failing which it would decide the matter on November 25.
Khan was placed under house arrest in early 2004 after he confessed to running a proliferation network on state-run television.
After he reached an agreement with the government last year, some of the restrictions on Khan were removed though he continues to be under the surveillance of security agencies.
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Thursday informed the government and disgraced nuclear scientist AQ Khan that it would decide the issue of his "security protocol" if they failed to mutually resolve the matter by the next hearing on November 25.
First Published: Friday, November 20, 2009, 00:05