Pak court reserves decision on Lakhvi`s plea till tom
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Thursday reserved till tomorrow its decision on an application by LeT operation commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, accused of planning and helping execute the Mumbai terror attacks, for the transfer of his trial from Rawalpindi to this eastern city.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja Muhammad Sharif, who is hearing the application, reserved his order till tomorrow after hearing arguments from Lakhvi`s counsel Khwaja Sultan and government lawyers.
In his application filed last week, Lakhvi had claimed that there was a purported threat to his life as a number of agents of the Indian spy agency Research and Analyses Wing were present in Rawalpindi.
He asked for his trial to be transferred from an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi to Lahore. During today`s hearing, the Deputy Attorney General of the federal government and the Advocate General of Punjab province told the court that authorities are providing full security to Lakhvi and his counsel.
Lakhvi`s counsel Khwaja Sultan said his client was not satisfied with the judge of the anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi who was conducting the trial but sources said the
High Court brushed aside his remarks. The High Court had last week issued notices to the federal Interior Secretary, Attorney General and Advocate General of Punjab to respond to Lakhvi`s application.
Lakhvi was indicted with six others - Zarar Shah, Abu al-Qama, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum - for planning and helping execute the assault on India`s financial hub in November 2008 which claimed 166 lives.
Their in-camera trial is being conducted within the Adiala Jail for security reasons.
The anti-terrorism court was to begin recording evidence against them at the last hearing on January 16 but was unable to do so because of the application filed by Lakhvi in the Lahore High Court.
Lakhvi has filed another application in the Rawalpindi-based bench of the Lahore High Court challenging the anti-terrorism court`s dismissal of his plea for acquittal. Observers believe Lakhvi`s applications are aimed at delaying his trial, which has entered a crucial phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview