Pak EC rejects govt`s request for jobs ban removal
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan on Friday rejected a proposal by the government to lift ban on recruitment ahead of the parliamentary elections.
The Law Ministry had recently written to the Chief Election Commissioner for lifting ban on fresh jobs as it was affecting performance of the several government departments.
The Election Commission issued a formal directive notifying continuation of the ban on new recruitments and diversion of development funds.
It was, however, clarified that all vacancies which were advertised on or before 31st of August last year are outside the purview of the ban and may be filled-in.
Section of the local media had earlier reported that the ruling coalition had planned to recruit thousands of people before the election just for political purposes.
The government will complete its term in mid-March and elections are scheduled to be held within three months.
Some ministers have indicated that the polls could be held in the first week on May.
The Election Commission said that all appointments shall be made strictly in accordance with the rules applicable to such appointments and purely on merit.
The institutions established under the Constitution are exempted from the ban on recruitments, a Commission`s notification said.
The Commission said requests from ministries, divisions, departments or institutions of the federal government or any department or institution of any provincial or local government including health and education department will be considered on case-to-case basis by the Election Commission.
About diversions of funds it said no funds will be diverted from an ongoing project to a new or existing development project in any constituency.
The directive said the development projects already in progress may continue without interruption where no diversion of funds is required.
Requests from foreign donors to divert funds from one project to another will be considered by the Commission on case-to-case basis.
Diversion of funds in respect of projects of strategic importance will also be considered by the Election Commission on case-to-case basis, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi