Pak is a nuclear state, hence has responsibilities: US
Washington: Acknowledging Pakistan as a "nuclear state", the Obama administration today said that the country has "enormous responsibilities" within the community of nations that have such weapons.
"As a nuclear state, Pakistan has enormous responsibilities within the community of nations that have nuclear weapons," National Security Adviser, General (retd) James Jones said while briefing foreign correspondents here.
Responding to a question, Jones said Pakistan is well aware of it (responsibilities of a nuclear state) and the US has been holding regular consultations on the issue with Islamabad.
"They are well aware of that. And we have regular consultations on those issues. I think the future of the Pakistan-US relationship is bright, and it transcends simply just problems associated with insurgents and nuclear weapons," he said.
"We would like to see it evolve into the trade issues, better economic development and obviously as we try to work towards more peace and stability in South Asia." Jones was responding to a question that the general impression in Pakistan is that the US is basically interested in two issues, nuclear weapons and terrorism, in its relationship with Pakistan.
According to him, the relationship between Pakistan and the US is a very positive one and it will only grow in a positive direction in the future.
"The US will support the democratic processes that Pakistan is adhering to, and we will do everything we can to be a good friend and ally, especially to assist Pakistan in its own internal struggles in any way we can with regard to the insurgents that are operating in the border area," Jones said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Watch: How a bionic suit helped a paralyzed father make his daughter's wedding day memorable!
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM