Pak: Key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace Jirga killed
Islamabad: A key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace
Jirga in northwest Pakistan was killed and his companion
injured in an attack by unidentified armed men, a media report
on Tuesday said.
Maulana Niazbar, also a member of Sunni Supreme Council in
Hangu district, was killed instantly when the motorcycle-borne
gunmen fired at him at Kohat in Khyber-Pakthunkhwa province
Niazbar had come to Kohat to attend two jirgas (council).
His companion, Maulana Zeenatullah, a resident of Kohat,
was injured, the Dawn newspaper reported today.
Police cordoned off the area and conducted a search
operation but the killers managed to escape.
Sunni Supreme Council chairman Javed Ibraheem Paracha
condemned the killing of the religious leader and criticised
the government for not investigating such attacks.
He said the government had completely failed to restore
peace in Hangu region, which has been rocked by sectarian
violence in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security