Pak: Key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace Jirga killed
Islamabad: A key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace
Jirga in northwest Pakistan was killed and his companion
injured in an attack by unidentified armed men, a media report
on Tuesday said.
Maulana Niazbar, also a member of Sunni Supreme Council in
Hangu district, was killed instantly when the motorcycle-borne
gunmen fired at him at Kohat in Khyber-Pakthunkhwa province
Niazbar had come to Kohat to attend two jirgas (council).
His companion, Maulana Zeenatullah, a resident of Kohat,
was injured, the Dawn newspaper reported today.
Police cordoned off the area and conducted a search
operation but the killers managed to escape.
Sunni Supreme Council chairman Javed Ibraheem Paracha
condemned the killing of the religious leader and criticised
the government for not investigating such attacks.
He said the government had completely failed to restore
peace in Hangu region, which has been rocked by sectarian
violence in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH