Pak: Key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace Jirga killed
Islamabad: A key member of a Shia-Sunni Peace
Jirga in northwest Pakistan was killed and his companion
injured in an attack by unidentified armed men, a media report
on Tuesday said.
Maulana Niazbar, also a member of Sunni Supreme Council in
Hangu district, was killed instantly when the motorcycle-borne
gunmen fired at him at Kohat in Khyber-Pakthunkhwa province
Niazbar had come to Kohat to attend two jirgas (council).
His companion, Maulana Zeenatullah, a resident of Kohat,
was injured, the Dawn newspaper reported today.
Police cordoned off the area and conducted a search
operation but the killers managed to escape.
Sunni Supreme Council chairman Javed Ibraheem Paracha
condemned the killing of the religious leader and criticised
the government for not investigating such attacks.
He said the government had completely failed to restore
peace in Hangu region, which has been rocked by sectarian
violence in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video