Pak Maj Gen Naushad Kayani appointed DG Military Intelligence
Islamabad: Pakistan Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has appointed Maj Gen Naushad Ahmed Kayani as Director General of Military Intelligence (DGMI) under a process of promotions and appointments in the higher echelons of the force.
Naushad Kayani, an infantry officer, was promoted as Major General in March with 29 other Brigadiers.
The current DGMI, Maj Gen Mohammad Asif, is set to move to Lahore, media reports said today.
In a related move, three Major Generals were yesterday promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General.
They are Vice-Chief of General Staff, Maj Gen Waheed Arshad; Director General of the counter-terrorism wing of Inter-Services Intelligence, Maj Gen Rashid Mehmood; and General Officer Commanding of the Special Services Group, Maj
Gen Haroon Aslam.
Maj Gen Arshad earlier served as the Director General of Planning in the Army chief`s Secretariat and as head of the Inter-Services Public Relations.
Maj Gen Mehmood commanded an infantry division in Jhelum while Maj Gen Aslam commanded an infantry division in Quetta.
Four Lieutenant Generals, including two corps commanders, will retire by May 01 and the promoted officers will fill the vacant positions, the media reports quoted sources as saying.
Those retiring next month are Lahore Corps Commander Lt Gen Ejaz Ahmad Bakshi; Mangla Corps Commander Lt Gen Nadeem Ahmad; Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority chairman Lt Gen Sajjad Akram; and Lt Gen Ahsan Azhar Hayat, Inspector General of Training and Evaluation at the Army`s General Headquarters.
Maj Gen Nadir Zeb, another of the 29 brigadiers promoted recently, has been appointed the General Officer Commanding of the Multan-based armoured division.
The office fell vacant after the death of Maj Gen Shahid Hamid on April 26.
Lt Gen Asif Yasin Malik, who was promoted last month, is expected to become Peshawar Corps commander after Lt Gen Masood Aslam retires on April 11.
About half a dozen Generals, including Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Chairman Gen Tariq Majid and Army Chief Gen Kayani, are set to retire between September and November this year unless they are given extensions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list