Pak mob attacks churches, houses of Christians
Islamabad: Muslim fanatics attacked churches and burnt down scores of houses of the Christian community in Pakistan`s Punjab province, a news report said.
A mob attacked two churches and gutted 75 houses of
Christians over the alleged desecration of papers inscribed
with Quran verses at a wedding ceremony in Punjab`s Azafi
Abadi village at Chak 95-JB on Thursday, Atif Jamil Pagaan and
Ashfaq Fateh, leaders of the minority community was quoted as
saying by the Dawn newspaper today.
Fearing attack, the members of the minority community
fled the village that allowed the fanatics to attack the
church, houses and cattle, the report said.
The station house officer of Gojra Sadar has been
suspended by the District Police Officer (DPO) Inkisar Khan,
the Pakistani daily said.
DPO Khan said a case has been registered against
Mukhtar Maseeh, Talib Maseeh and Imran Maseeh, who were
accused of desecrating the papers inscribed with Quran verses.
Christians are the second largest religious minority
community in Pakistan after Hindus. The total number of
Christians in Pakistan is approximately nearly 3 million or
1.6 of the population.
Christians, like other minorities, have been targeted
in Pakistan for flouting blasphemy laws. International rights
groups have urged the government to change the law because it
was being used to terrorize religious minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar