Pak mob attacks churches, houses of Christians
Islamabad: Muslim fanatics attacked churches and burnt down scores of houses of the Christian community in Pakistan`s Punjab province, a news report said.
A mob attacked two churches and gutted 75 houses of
Christians over the alleged desecration of papers inscribed
with Quran verses at a wedding ceremony in Punjab`s Azafi
Abadi village at Chak 95-JB on Thursday, Atif Jamil Pagaan and
Ashfaq Fateh, leaders of the minority community was quoted as
saying by the Dawn newspaper today.
Fearing attack, the members of the minority community
fled the village that allowed the fanatics to attack the
church, houses and cattle, the report said.
The station house officer of Gojra Sadar has been
suspended by the District Police Officer (DPO) Inkisar Khan,
the Pakistani daily said.
DPO Khan said a case has been registered against
Mukhtar Maseeh, Talib Maseeh and Imran Maseeh, who were
accused of desecrating the papers inscribed with Quran verses.
Christians are the second largest religious minority
community in Pakistan after Hindus. The total number of
Christians in Pakistan is approximately nearly 3 million or
1.6 of the population.
Christians, like other minorities, have been targeted
in Pakistan for flouting blasphemy laws. International rights
groups have urged the government to change the law because it
was being used to terrorize religious minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says